Monday, June 24

Word choice.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم


"Something good we want to say can be taken badly because of our choice of words or the way we came across. Always choose the best words and ways." - Mufti Ismail Menk

In Speech Communication, I have learned that before we speak, before we want to deliver our message, we must first know our audience. Their age, gender, race, family background and others.

By knowing our audience, we can choose the accurate words and sentences in our speech according to their frame of reference. If you are talking to a kid, would it be same if you are talking to an adult? By default, you will talk to both of them in different manners.

The same thing should be implemented in Dakwah. When we want to give advise, we must rectify our language. The word "An-Nasohah" (advise) is literally means "filter" or "refine". That's why we need to do dakwah bil hikmah.

What does Al-Hikmah means? It means the right word for the right person at the right condition, time and place.

Practice this Du'a from Prophet Musa: "

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي

"O my Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-confidence, contentment and boldness.)

وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي

And ease my task for me,

وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي

And make loose the knot (the defect) from my tounge (i.e. remove the incorrectness from my speech),

يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي

So that they might fully understand my speech,"

[Surah Taha, 20: 25-28]


No comments: